Grade 4 Homework Policies
Homework is an essential part of a child’s education. It is valuable because it reinforces the skills taught in class, teaches responsibility, and prepares the students for the future, as homework will get much more demanding in the years to come. If your child realizes the importance of finishing assignments early on, they will have an easier time in the future.
How often will my student be required to do homework?
- Homework is assigned throughout the week.
- Homework is usually not assigned on Saturday or Sunday.
How much homework will my student receive?
- Homework takes approximately 60 minutes to complete (depends on each individual student).
- Students are expected to read a minimum of 30 minutes and practice math facts/skills each night.
- At times, students will be working on bigger projects, which may need to be finished at home.
What is an AVID Binder and Planner?
- An AVID Binder is a student organization tool equipped with the necessary materials (1 AVID planner, 1 supply pouch, 1 post-it pad, highlighter, 2 pencils, 1 blue/black pen) to complete daily homework.
- An AVID Planner is an item students are responsible to use to write down and track assignments in.
- Parents/Guardians are responsible to sign their student’s planner each night to signify you’re aware of your student’s homework expectations and you’ve taken the time to check that it’s complete.
- Students who do not complete their assignments or turn in their assignments in promptly, they will lose privileges as specified by their individual classroom teacher.
Intersession Break Homework
- Students are encouraged to complete their weekly reading log (Monday – Friday).
- Students have the option of completing online activities to practice their skills.