The objective of this class is to introduce students to the many inspiring art pieces throughout history. From there, students will learn to compare and contrast the styles, the media (tools), and the Elements of Art which were used. My hope is that students will gain a basic understanding of art principles based on the past, and will be able to dialogue about Art in a meaningful way. Ultimately, I hope they will create their own unique artistic style.
Painting- using Tempera and Watercolor paints, including color mixing and proper brush care. (Primary, Secondary, Complimentary, Tertiary, Warm and Cold Colors.)
Drawing- using pencil and color pencil, training the eye to look for details using Blind Contour and Modified Contour Drawing, and Still Life.
Learning to add Value, through shading and creating highlights and shadows.
Experimenting with Oil Pastels.
Creating 3-D art to learn about Form. This will include some simple origami, and also building with play dough.
Re-creating “masterpieces” from history to gain an appreciation for the technique and the time taken to create them.
SKILLS and STANDARDS:
- Learning about 7 Elements of Art-
LINE, SHAPE, COLOR, TEXTURE, VALUE, SHAPE, and FORM
- Learning about 4 Principles of Design-
BALANCE, SYMMETRY, REPETITION, and PATTERN
• Developing a common Art vocabulary.
• Learning about Art History from different time periods and cultures.
• Hands-On Projects to reinforce concepts and to express creativity.
• Learning how to care for Art media (tools) and when it is appropriate to use each.
• Focusing on the GLO of Quality Producer.