Physical Education (PE)
Kapolei Elementary students will be participating in the SPARK Physical Education program this year: Sports, Play & Active Recreation for Kids
Focus of Instruction will be on:
Building a Foundation of Locomotor Skills, Movement Concepts, and Application of Skills in Movement Activities
There are eight basic locomotor skills used to move the body from place to place, or to project the body upwards (as in jumping or hopping). They form the foundation of gross motor coordination and involve large muscle movement.
Walk • Jump • Hop • Run • Gallop • Side-Slide • Skip • Leap
Children will begin to understand the various levels in space in which movement occurs, pathways they take, control of the rate of movement, direction in which to move, as well as moving in relation to others and objects.
Low • Medium • High
Straight • Curved • Zigzag
Slow • Medium • Fast
Forward • Sideways • Upward • Downward • To the Right • To the Left •
(Backward - not being taught due to student safety)
Over • Under • On • Off • In • Around • Through • Mirror
Please check your child’s planner to help him/her prepare for PE classes.
Please see that your child has the following on days they have PE class:
• Covered shoes
• Shorts (please follow dress code)
• School uniform
• Bring bottled water
It is expected that students will:
• Enjoy and seek out physical activity
• Develop and maintain acceptable levels of physical fitness
• Develop a variety of basic movement and manipulative skills so they will experience success and feel comfortable during present and future physical activity pursuits
• Develop the ability to get along with others in movement environments (e.g., share space and equipment, employ the ‘golden rule’ of competition – be a good sport, and demonstrate